February’s Chef Recipe: Plaga Tomatoes & Japanese Tofu
Lemongrass macerated cherry tomatoes, kemangi, extra virgin olive oil, sauvignon blanc tomato gelee
Vegan version of tomato-mozzarella salad, highlighting the bounty of Bedugul
|Equipment:||Set of pastry circle cutters|
Small offset palate knife
|Recipe|| Lemongrass macerated cherry tomatoes|
Sauvignon Blanc tomato gelee
Extra Virgin Olive Oil- Premium Quality
Kemangi Leaves, picked
Coarse Sea Salt
Black Pepper, freshly ground
Radish, sliced- garnish
Edible Flowers- garnish
Lemongrass Simple Syrup
|Lemongrass :||60 grams|
|Kaffir Lime Leaves:||5 each|
· Remove the woody part of the lemongrass and discard only using the tender bottom of the stalks.
· With the back of a knife smash the stalks and finely chop. Place in a heavy bottom pot.
· Tear the kaffir lime leaves and add to the pot.
· Add the sugar and water to the pot and place on medium heat.
· Cook for approximately 8 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
· Remove the pot from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes.
· Strain through a fine sieve, reserving the lemongrass flavored simple syrup.
· Let cool to room temperature.
· Store in a squeeze bottle and place in the fridge until ready to use.
*Note, feel free to double, even triple this recipe. It is a great sweetener to add to your iced tea or any other beverage you would like to sweeten up with hints of South East Asia!
To prepare the Cherry Tomatoes
|Plaga Red Cherry Tomatoes||150 grams|
|Sea Salt||5 grams|
|Boiling Water||1 liter|
|Ice Water||1 liter|
|Lemongrass Simple Syrup||50 ml|
|Kaffir Lime Leaves|| 3ea.|
|Cabe Rawit, merah||½ ea.|
|Sea Salt & White Pepper||To Taste|
- Peel the cherry tomatoes using shock method.
- In a heavy bottom pot bring 1 liter of water to a boil with the sea salt.
- While the pot of water is coming to a boil proceed to prepare the tomatoes.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes in cold water.
- With a sharp paring knife, gently cut an ‘x” into the opposite end of the stem side of each tomato.
- Reserve Once the water has come to a rolling boil prepare your ice shock water 50% Ice: 50% cold water.
- Reserve Drop the cherry tomatoes into the boiling water and cook for approximately 1 minute. You will see the skin start to separate from the tomato flesh.
- Using a mesh strainer or colander, quickly remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and place directly into the ice water.
- Once cool, remove from the ice water and gently peel the skin off using a pairing knife. Place in a bowl to reserve.
- Finely chop the kaffir lime leaves and add to the peeled tomatoes.
- Remove the seeds from the cabe rawit, finely chop adding to the tomatoes and lime leaves
- Add the lemongrass simple syrup and season to taste with salt and white pepper
- Reserve chilled until ready to assemble.
Sauvignon Blanc Tomato Gel
|Plaga Sauvignon Blanc Wine||250ml|
|Lemongrass Simple Syrup||75ml|
|Plaga Red Cherry Tomatoes||250 grams|
|Kaffir Lime Leaves||2 each|
|Kemangi Leaves||5 grams|
|Agar Agar||1 packet|
|Lime Juice, fresh||2 each.|
- Place the wine in a heavy bottom pot on the stove medium-high heat and reduce by ¼ to cook the alcohol out of the wine.
- Meanwhile in a blender combine the simple syrup, cherry tomatoes and sea salt. Puree smooth- reserve.
- Once the alcohol has cooked out of the wine add the tomato puree and reduce by an additional ¼.
- Turn off the heat and add the kemangi. Steep for 15 minutes.
- Add the agar agar and bring up to a boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Strain through a fine sieve and add the lime juice.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and pour onto a flat baking pan. Place in the fridge to set. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Once set, remove from the fridge and cut various sizes of tomato gelee circles. Be creative!
- Slice 7mm slices of the Japanese tofu. Using the circle pastry cutters cut various size perfect circles from the slices of tofu. Reserve.
- On a plate of your choice using the offset palate knife; creatively alternate slices of tomato gel with the Japanese tofu.
- Top with the lemongrass macerated peeled cherry tomatoes
- Add kemangi leaves, pea sprouts and radish slices.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Garnish with torn pieces of edible flower leaves